Saturday

Welcome the Chilly Season...


As the cold weather is beginning to arrive, a change also is taking place in what we desire to eat. The cool short days, have us yearning more for warm soups, stews or chili's. Several weeks ago, I was in a hurry to make a hot meal. The night before, I had already prepared a pot of lentils, a pot of red beans, and my crock pot potatoes. All these ingredients can go together quite nicely, as I found out. I don’t use recipes a lot. I use ingredients that are on hand, because most recipes call for items we don’t have.
I vaguely remembered skimming over a recipe a while back, that used lentils as soup base. So, I set about to find out how this main dish of our meal would turn out. To my surprise, it was rather tasty. So tasty in fact, we have made it every week for the past three weeks. It is an inexpensive and nutritious meal for us. The lists of ingredients are as follow and all amounts are approximate. I suggest cooking to your taste buds liking. You may like to add more of something or less of something. All ingredients are precooked.


A Farmstead Pilgrimage Simple Chile (Note: This is not spicy, ingredients are simple, but plan ahead)


2 C. Lentils
1 ½ C. Red beans
2 C. Potatoes
1-2 Onions (cooked in crock pot w/potatoes)
Tomatoes (I added two handful of frozen tomatoes)
1 C. Water (can add more water, will be more of a soup, rather than Chili style)
4-Garlic Coves or can use garlic granules/powder
2 tsp. Dried Onion Granules
2 Tbs. Dried Parsley
1 tsp. vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste

I serve this with homemade bread and garden fresh carrot sticks.
Enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

Kris

No comments: