Welcome Home...

After the snow storm blew through Saturday night, the temperatures jumped to 38 degrees. Not a good combination when there is frozen snow/ice on a 12/12 pitched metal roof. When snow/ice begins to thaw and let loose from the steep roof, it sounds like the roof is caving in. And with that, we can always count on the rain gutters being ripped off too. If we lived where this type of winter weather was common, we certainly would have done alot of things differently. One being...no rain gutters on any building. Every time we get a large amount of snow fall, my husband goes out and rakes off as much of the snow he can reach on the roof of the house and barn. He does this in order to try to prevent the gutters from being ripped off the house/barn when the snow/ice on the roof lets loose.

On Sunday, he had cleared as much of the snow on the roof's (both house and barn) that he could reach. Towards the end of the day, the temperatures dropped down to 23 degrees, freezing the untouched snow/ice on the roof. Monday morning was still cool, but by mid day the temperatures once again had begun to rise.

When arriving home from work on Monday evening, there in the cold and darkness, we stumble upon the unexpected surprise of a twisted metal gutter and down spout, both which were entangled with the clothesline, in a heap of snow, on the pathway to our door. Wow! What a welcome home from a long, cold day at work.

Normally when we arrive home, first thing we do in the cooler months, is to get our wood stove going to generate heat. Then we begin the feeding, collecting the eggs, and carrying fresh warm water to the ducks, as well as the other livestock. Usually we both work together at feeding time. However, this night I would be doing it by myself, while he begins to unravel the twisted mess of metal, shovel the downed snow in the pathway, and again, begin to scrape the snow that has slid further down the steep pitched roof.

Feeding and watering takes me two hours this night. I ask him if there is anything I can do to help, after I had finished with the livestock. He replies with a frustrated, 'No'. I feel his frustration and tiredness. I silently pray for our strength, to get that which is needed, done.

I head back inside the house, to only find the fire in the wood stove, has almost gone out. It had completely burned up the wood it was started with, two hours ago. I had forgot to come back inside the house, mid way through the feeding, to add more wood to the stove. Sheesh! The house was not as warm as it normally would be at this time of the night, but then things around this place, on this particular night, were not in the normal manner of works, either.

This night, there is no extra energies to put forth to anything other than taking care of the necessities of our home and livestock. T
iredness is felt. Muscles are beginning to ache. Tomorrow will be another day, and we wonder what it has in store for us.



Shannon said...

Wow, what an ending to an already busy day. You work outside the home and run your homestead! That is incredible.

I love having found your blog and would love to learn more about you and your husbands change to living more simple. My husband and I so often would like to do the same.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Shannon!

Most people think we are crazy to do both. We are hopeful that soon, we will be on our farmstead full time.

You and your husband can make the change. It just takes time.

Thank you for stopping by.


Rhonda Jean said...

What a tough day. I hope you've both recovered now.