Taking on another challenge...

I had no sooner made a few adjustments to the computer, thinking all was going to be well, to only find myself face to face with another challenge. I call it a challenge, as I don't feel strong enough in knowledge to know what to do yet, and how to help assist in this situation.

Oh before I continue on, the names of the new kitties are 'Ike' (the buff colored) and 'Immerson' (the black & white), whom seems to be actually called 'Immer' more often. My mother rolled her eyes and said, 'No, don't name them those names, they need cute names'. I told her 'I had to'. I have to keep my tradition. I will eventually share more behind their names choices later. The names really do seem to fit each cat with their personalities.

Now, to share my challenge. Ike is showing signs of the possibility of ringworm. A trip to the vet last Saturday is ending in my head spinning for ideas on how I can help this young cat, and prevent Immerson from the same condition. I opted to have a culture done to confirm ringworm, which takes up to 30 days to confirm positive or negative results. Which then, once the 'symptoms' have gone away another culture will be done, again waiting another 30 days, and possibly a third culture, again waiting 30 days. It will be a process, if the first test is positive.

Unfortunately, these are not our only two 'fury animals' that live amongst us. We have gone into what someone may see as excessive mode of keeping areas clean. Morning and night routine goes like this currently: Prepare their food w/added supplements, mix up the 'paint' solution, 'Adorn my 'protection outfit', the sick room' is cleaned, wiped down (trying to collect as much 'loose fur on the surfaces' as possible. Surfaces=counter, walls, floors, crates, window sill), the felines are fed and Ike is prepped for 'the spot' to be painted. Prepped=putting on the Elizabethan collar. It's not exactly just putting it on, it's coaxing, and manipulating the cat and collar.) Painted= anti fungal solution painted on bare patch of skin. I wish it was as simple as it sounds writing it. However, when your dealing with a live animal that is scared of the collar and doesn't want to have 'the spot' painted, it is not a joyful situation. Treats and encouraging words are spoken at all times. Ike does at times, after coaxing words and treats, stand kneading his feet and singing to me. (Note:I have never owned a cat that was so happy, even when he is having to do something he does not want to do, squirming around, (put the collar on and be painted) . {grin}

Morning and night the area outside the 'sick room' is vacuumed. All the other 'fury animals' that are in and out of the house are on a immune booster and are being watched carefully. I do not suspect they will contract it, as they are all very healthy. I also, am not too terribly concerned about contracting it. I am very careful and wash after I am done with Ike and Immerson morning and night. I have had ringworm when I was a child, but do not know which strain. I contracted it one summer from riding my horse, which the horse contracted it from our cow.

From what I have learned ringworm is all around us. Cats are carriers of it on their fur, even though they may not show the physical signs. It is when their immune system is compromised, that it can take hold. We knew going into this adoption there could be a possibility of any kind of a immune system challenge, especially as these cats came from horrendous living conditions. Some human beings are very cruel.

I truly believed we were well on our way to strong healthy immune function, until Ike was due for a booster vaccine. Two weeks after that, is when the 'spot' appeared. I beat myself up now, for not standing my ground when the vet tech insisted on the booster. As she explained it, if the booster was not received then the previous one would be void. My thoughts of why to reject administering the booster, were that it was too soon to continue to pump 'chemicals' into the small frail body. So I link this outbreak to the vaccine which he received, which compromised his delicate immune system. The timing was just wrong to receive it. I am not totally against vaccinating, but I think there is a time and limit as to when it should be administered and how long. (have learned first hand about the results of 'over vaccinating'.

Time is something I run short on these days, especially when a challenge like this comes along. Allot of thinking, studying, and research is spent with any extra time. Right now I feel like I am floundering around trying to find a basis on how to start the healing process. I need more ammunition, if you will. Not just good food and a few supplements. My mind bounces back and forth between the conventional medications and holistic helps. The pros and cons.

I don't like sickness in any of our animals. It troubles me deeply. It shows something is off balance in their system. Animals are amazing creatures. They respond to holistic care quicker it seems, than human beings do.

Two years ago, I had my first opportunity with using some holistic methods of treatment on our cat who was diagnosed with liver cancer. The cat was given six months to live. The cat lived 13 happy, normal months, beyond the vet's original suggested time frame. The cat was 15 1/2 years old when she was euthanized peacefully.

My first approach to this situation is in prayer for guidance, strength to persevere when things look like it is not working, (I have experienced this before) and for patience (using natural methods can take a bit of time for the body to respond). I am feeling somewhat like a stranger going into this---uncertain.

Next is to begin support and encourage the immune system to kick in. As long as the health situation is not along the lines of possible quick death, I like to approach the 'problem' first, rather than just look at treating the symptoms. I have found the 'spot' early, and the vet says it is not a serious situation. And as long as the animal is not suffering, I feel good about approaching the illness/or suppressed immune system this way first. I also do have the chemical oral medication to administer, if I see the situation get worse. Administering the oral medication does have some side affects though (very hard on the liver).

I hope to journal the progress of treating this, and how the cats respond to the 'supports' I offer them. {supports= herbs/foods/vit. supplements, etc). I am actually beginning the 'supports' early, as I don't have the confirmed report back that it is 'indeed' ringworm. Whatever it is, we will begin to approach the immune system first.

Praying for quick healing on Ike and keeping Immerson strong.

Blessings on your day!

No comments: