Tuesday

Spring Harvest of Purple Broccoli

Please Note: This was written with the intention to be posted on April 28, 2009. However, due to my feeder needing re-adjustment and my lack of time, it did not get posted on that date.




As predicted, the mountain elevations have received another dusting of snow early this morning. The cool temperatures mix well with the clouded gray skies today; keeping me in reminder that although spring is pressing forth, winter is not going to be so easily forgotten. We do not expect the warm season to start here until June first.


Just in from the field, I have harvested some of the over wintering purple broccoli. We were very surprised to see it in the growing plot when spring arrived. There is actually more available to harvest than I originally thought. I will be letting a few stalks go to seed, then we can collect the seed in early summer. Half of the broccoli will be used raw, and the other half lightly steamed. The taste is very good. It has a hint of sweetness to it. I am thinking the cold weather has alot to do with the sweet flavor. One neat fact about growing and harvesting your own broccoli, is that it will last three times longer in the refrigerator, compared to store bought broccoli. Another excellent point that I learned, broccoli harvested in the cool early spring, will not have insect issues to deal with.



During this last winter, I have become very aware at how much we need to include fresh raw fruits and vegetables into our diet during the cold winter season. We have found ourselves to feel physically better overall when we have eaten some form of raw fruits or vegetables daily. Providing a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables on a homestead, can be a bit tricky. Slowly, we are finding a process in which to be able to provide fresh raw vegetables for ourselves. I hope to share more on this at a later time.



Have a blessed day!
Kris

4 comments:

Fine Linen said...

Oh my that looks wonderful! The purple is just so pretty. I must admit I'd never seen purple broccoli. I'm enjoying your blog. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Blessings

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Fine Linen!

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Purple is one of my favorite colors! I can not only wear it, paint something, and pick a bouquet of flowers with that color, now I can eat it too. lol!

Have a blessed day!
Kris

henbogle said...

I would love to know more about your purple sprouting broccoli. I tried it last year but never got the plant to head up. Any advice you can share I would very much appreciate!

Ali

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Ali,

Thanks for your comment.

The only think I can come up with possibly is that it takes a long time to form a head.

I plan to gather my notes and share what I have learned here in the near future.

Take Care,
~Kris