Sunday

Opportunites in the Midst of Hardship

A post is long over due, I know. It is not that I have nothing to share, or that we have dropped totally off cyberspace. Our small farm has been keeping us busy. We praise the Lord! The growing plot is doing well, the shearing has been completed, and we are keeping up with rotating our sheep through the grazing pastures.

This past month of May was difficult at our off farm job. The economy finally hit us hard. I admit, I have experienced high frustration in phases during this past month, and it has filled my whole being at times. The frustration comes from counting on something, only to receive nothing. The not being able to receive something comes from the trickle down distress of the current financial system.

The first reaction of my flesh is despondency. My flesh battles against the Spirit which resides within me. Peace is exchanged at times for fear. I pray the fear does not overtake my peace, as many thoughts of 'what if' and 'what do we do now' mingle through my mind. Fear and depression are not strangers to some people during unexpected hard times. However, instead of allowing the circumstances to control over lives, we decide to take hold of our situation. It is in this type of occurrence, which energize us more than ever, fueling us with determination to move towards a much more self-sustainable way of life.

Now, hopefully not to confuse you, the reader, I add this twist to how we are viewing our current conditions. We are finding joy in it. Sound crazy? Yes, especially if your not seeking the Spirit.

This is an exciting time for us! Really! It is a matter of looking at our situation and seeing where we can grow from it. It is a time for opportunities. It is a time to grow our trust in the Lord. It is a time we feel we are being refined in various areas of our lives, dying to the fleshly wants, and deepening our relationship with the Lord. It is a wonderful time to put all our long time learning to the test. This is a time when we get to see the Lord's provisions, protection, grace and mercy at work in our lives. It is perfect timing for various opportunities for us to grab hold of, to live and learn from. And so we rejoice!

Psalm 33:20-22 (NIV) We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O'Lord, even as we put our hope in you.

Enjoy your day!
Kris

6 comments:

lisa said...

((hugs)) Our Pastor gave a sermon just on what you just wrote..I can not for the life of me see how people go through life not having the peace I have knowing our Lord is with us all the way and HE will provide...Thank you for sharing what you just wrote...Lisa

small farm girl said...

I think I understand what you are saying. My husband has been laid off for 7 months now. But, we have never been happier.

Sand Flat Farm said...

Your hearts and minds are in the right place. God's blessings on you in your quest to become more self-sufficient and God-sufficient. I'm sending up a prayer for you today...

Hedy King said...

HOPE > FEAR
You and your husband are on the right path, stand firm, keep praying. God is there. Hedy

Fine Linen said...

You and yours will be in our prayers dear friend. I know exactly what your talking about, and when the Lord gives you His peace. It's the peace that passes all understanding. Because without the Spirit one doesn't know how someone could be at peace in such situations.
At least this is my own experience. With all we've gone through in the last couple of months, some ask how we can still be pressing forward the way we do. It's simple, it's the Lord's peace, and His will, not our own.
Peace & Grace to you and yours!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Thank you to all for taking the time to comment. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreicated!

Many blessings to each of you!

Kris