Sunday

Homegrown and handmade only deepen our appreciation to this way of life.

Our continuous work in the growing plots are finally beginning to pay off. Everything is growing and beginning to produce. We slowly move from one type of vegetable or fruit to the next for harvesting for winter store.

We have had thunder and lightening off and on for the past three days. Today, the rains finally showed up. The sky was dark from morning to evening. I thrive when the sunshine is out. However today, I had a hard time trying to get just a few things accomplished.

Yesterday, I completed everything on my list, except for cutting some fresh flowers for the house. What better way to make a dark cloudy day bright I thought, as I was beginning to put these flower bouquets together.

Many people have a misconception about living a self-sufficient way of life. Some people think we are deprived of many things in society. Our thoughts disagree with their words. Take for instance these bouquets I made myself. I did not purchase any of this plant material from the store. All of it grows here each year, except the sunflowers, which I plant annually.




We have heard people say, you can't grow or make things like you can buy in the stores. How true that statement is. However, what these people were implying is that what is homegrown or homemade is less quality. What we have found is that what we grow, make, bake, or cook is 150% better than you can find in the store.




I also wanted to share a photo of the table my husband built for me in the early summer. I plan to set it in our dining area. I have a hand grain grinder that will sit on it.


He built the table with the bottom shelf so I could place this clay crock on it. There is an antique rolling pin in the crock right now.



We are very grateful for this way of life. We have learned so many different things, in which we would have never learned if we would have stayed the course of societies ways. I never thought I could put together a bouquet of flowers, much less grow them myself. My husband was not a wood worker in the beginning. Over time he has found a hidden talent he never knew he had in working with wood.


Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'


Have a wonderful Day!
Kris

20 comments:

Fine Linen said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! Yes, the things that are homegrown or handmade are truly often 150% better. You do come to appreciate littler things, and enjoy the fruits of your labor more.
The table your husband built you is wonderful. What a blessing to have a specific place to keep your mill.
Praying for you and yours dear friend. Many blessings!

small farm girl said...

The flowers are beautiful! I wish I could put flowers together like that. And the stand, another beautiful creation. You guys need to sell things like that.

lisa said...

This morning I was reflecting on how simplified our life is becoming..Not totally there yet..but eliminating the garbage little by little in our life. Picking flowers from your own garden brings me more peace then the store bought..Next year I plan on planting a rose garden, a sunflower patch...Thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers...Your garden looks wonderful and may God bless you with a bountiful harvest.. Lisa

Kelle said...

Thank you for the reminder that I can TREAT myself to a fresh arangement of our homegrown flowers. I sometimes get focused on one or two things and forget to stop and smell the flowers( pun totally intended!)

You garden is lovely, isn't it a blessing to grow your produce. Yes it's hard work, but so.... very worth it*wink*

We grew Spring Wheat last season, as a covercrop for half of our garden. It was beautiful, even if it was only 60x60ft. plot. We harvested it the easiest way we could come up with, we harvested the heads only and then simply mowed the stalks down for a mulch to be tilled in for a long winter's composting. I did harvest some with stems, for dried flower arrangements, they are beautiful. Now we know we can grow our own wheat if needed. Of course it would need to be a bigger patch, probably in a portion of one of the pastures.

Give millet a try, it's beautiful and makes great hot cereal and is good in bread as well. I have seed if you are interest, stop in our blog and I'll give you my email addy.

Thanks again for the reminder, I'm heading out to cut some flowers now!

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

Hi Kris, it's been a while since I visited your blog (I think it was still snowy and lambing time when I did last!) so I am so glad to have made it over today ;) Been reading back through your spring and summer posts and I wanted to tell you how humbled and blessed I am by them. Thank you for sharing here in this internet world...for reaching out to others.

God bless you mightily today and be encouraged...your words are not falling on deaf ears, dear Sister!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Thank You Fine Linen! You have been a blessing to me!

God Bless!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Small Farm Girl!
Thank You! I'm certain you can do the same with your flowers!! 'Just Do It!'...I always say. My first attempts for a flower bouquets were pitiful... but I kept trying and the second one was better than the first.

Blessings to You!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Thank You Lisa! Let me say, it takes a while to 'unload' unnecessary things from our lives.

Keep at it and don't quit! Your doing great!

Blessings!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Kelle! I'm glad you're remembering to bring some flowers inside. [grin] For me, they seem to be something that is easily forgotten in the midst of our daily routine of life.

We seem to have similar ideas on farming. Your further ahead of us, but we are aiming right down your path.

A 60X60 wheat plot is excellent size! We were too late to get our spring wheat in this year, but are planning for some hard winter wheat this fall.

The millet sounds great. Will definitely give it a try. I believe I may even have seed... I'll let you know.

Blessings on you day!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Cary!

I remember you! How are you doing? I'm glad you stopped back by. How did your lambing season and wool harvest go?

Thank you for your comments, they are encouraging.

Have a blessed day!

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

Oh I agree...homemade or homegrown are ALWAYS the best!!! :)

Although we aren't completely self sufficient here...we do have chickens with eggs and have a very large garden with which I do canning with in the summers! :) There is NOTHING better than things from HOME! :) Love all your pics of your flowers! :)

the Baitlady said...

Amen to the quality of home grown vs. store bought. When it comes to fresh fruits and veggies, poultry, beef, eggs. etc... there is no comparison. At least you know what you are putting into your mouth.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Katy~ Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Your chickens and garden are great for providing alot of foods for yourself.

Have a great day!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Baitlady!

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

I have found that since we provide most all our own foods, we don't have any desire for 'grocery store' foods anymore. It seems there is no real taste in food.

Have a wonderful day!
Blessings!
Kris

Tammi said...

Your sunflowers are beautiful.

I have an award for you on my blog.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Thank You Tammi!

I'll be over to visit you soon.

Enjoy the day!

Kris

Sonya said...

The flowers are pretty and love your "arranging" abilities. I think I would enjoy your way of life. I think it would bring a surprising contentment in many ways. Enjoy reading the blog.
Sonya

William Cross said...

Hi Kris, The table looks awesome, very nice handiwork put into that one. We also thank god for the ability to have this life we chose. God is good!

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Sonya!

Thank you for the comments. This way of life, does bring a contentment that words cannot explain, sometimes.

Have a wonderful day!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi William!

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, this way of life is awesome!

And Yes... God is good! [grin]

God Bless you and your family!
Kris