Friday

Just checking in...

Greetings Everyone!

I'm sorry to be gone so long! And I certainly appreciate your patience and your continued kind comments in my absence.

We have been keeping plenty busy with our normal daily duties around this small farm, as well as doing a few painting tasks around our home, organizing our food storage area, tending our growing plot, all the while continuing our duties at our off farm job.

There is alot of catch up to share. I hope to begin to start doing that soon. September is going to be the heaviest work month for us here on the farm. With most of the vegetables coming to harvest, processing for winter store will be top priority, as well as getting some final winter preparations done, before the weather turns cold.




Before I close this entry, I thought I'd quickly share with you something we enjoy eating from our garden. The foods we eat are not fancy. They do not come pre-made from the store. Our food is simple. Ingredients are plain, used in their natural form, without chemicals or any genetically modified ingredients. My foremost thought about the food we eat is that it must be nourishing to our bodies.

For a refreshing noon meal at work on this sunny day, I gathered the following from the garden early in the morning: Tomato (7 small cherry size), Red Onion (approximately 1/8 cup), Cucumber (1), Basil (6 leaves), fresh Garlic (1 clove).



I diced everything small, tossed it together into a glass jar, added salt and pepper to taste, put a lid on and let the flavors mingle for at least three hours. I found the longer it sat, the better it tasted.


I enjoyed this straight from the glass jar, scooping it with a spoon, along with a couple slices of raw milk cheese. My husband put this mixture on homemade whole wheat bread with the raw milk cheese.


We feel considerably blessed for the experiences and knowledge this way of life brings. It is alot of hard physical work, especially after putting in a days work in town. Many nights we are totally exhausted. We won't quit! We praise the Lord!


From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. John 1:16 NIV

Have a wonderful day!
Blessings!
Kris

14 comments:

lisa said...

Thank you for your kind wishes of getting better...My garden has had it I think...It's not producing much...God has blessed me with abundance of roma tomatoes this year and yellow squash and zucchini..I am so thankful I have all these veggies for the winter months..Yes it is hard work and I can imagine how tired you must be..I have small garden and it is alot of work..I will be praying for your strength for your harvest momth..Lisa

Stone Bridge Farm said...

What a neat and easy meal! Oh...and, as for the blogging part...we all havve to push it at times..time is not a commodity we all have at all times! LOL.

Fine Linen said...

YUM! I'm going to make some of that. The only thing we haven't gotten yet out of garden is the garlic. Not time. But everything else we have. I just love your yellow pear tomatoes. I'm thinking of canning some of mine. Because we've been getting quite a few. It's so great to hear from you.
In our prayers dear friend.
Blessings, Fine Linen

Sonya said...

Well we end up making something similar with things from our garden...tomato, cucumber, onion, sometimes pepper and put it in with vinegar and some herbs. Very nice to put on top of various things we have for dinner...or breakfast. Goes good on beans, eggs, etc. lol

Hedy King said...

It is good to hear from you again. This is indeed a busy time in the garden and kitchen. Enjoy the bounty of your work and God's blessings.

Mr. H. said...

I have to agree with you about simple plain ingredients. I believe that pure and natural is how we were originally intended to consume these foods. So few people seem to understand the immense benefits of a diet of homegrown produce. All the nutrition one could ever want is built right these foods.

I loved your noon meal and may try that myself today.:) Thanks for the idea.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Lisa,

Your welcome for the 'get-well' wish!

I'm glad your harvest was bountiful.

Thank you for your prayers.

Blessings!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Stone Bridge Farm!

Yep, your right about 'time'... it has become something we do not waste anymore. [grin]

Thanks for your comment!

Have a wonderful day!

~Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Fine Linen!

One thing about those yellow pear's, is that they are very prolific! I have not had to plant one yellow pear plant since the first year we grew them.

Thank you for your prayers!

Blessings to you and yours,
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Sonya!

Yes, I agree... this mixture goes with a wide variety of foods.

Wonderful!

I'm glad you enjoy it, too.

Have a wonderful day!

~Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Hedy!

It was wonderful to hear from you. I don't get out much (visiting other blogs, lately)... so thanks for checking in. You have been in my thoughts.

Have a wonderful day

Blessings!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Mr H!

Thank you for your thoughts. I do enjoy them. We seem to have similar thoughts about this way of life.

I hope your meal was enjoyable. [grin]

Blessings on your harvest season!
Kris

Mr. H. said...

We tried it and loved it! We hiked up to a mountain lake yesterday and had a bowl of it waiting for us in a cooler in our car. We ate it on the way home...so good. Thanks.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Mr H,

Sounds like a wonderful day to me! I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Blessings over your way!
Kris