Sunday

A Farmstead Pilgrimage's... "Spicy Farmstead Mustard"

Note: This is the second attempt to get this posted, sorry for mix up...



Greetings to all!

Since the Labor Day Holiday is coming upon us in the United States, I thought it would be a good time to post a recipe we use to make our own mustard.

I normally don't post recipes due to my limited computer time, and as we connect to the web via dial up, making posting a bit time consuming. I also am not certain that readers would find what we eat very appealing. However, I thought I'd share this, as there just may be someone who may be interested.

If you are used to eating packaged prepared foods, this won't taste good. ~grin~

Yet, if your the adventurous type, give it a try. I also encourage you, when making anything from scratch, 'make it to your liking'. Example in this recipe, add more or less of honey and spices in this recipe.

I must give Warning, this mustard is spicy HOT!! The 'hotness' seems to mellow a bit after about two weeks. However, we have used this mustard after 48 hours of it being made. We have found it a wonderful ingredient to our potato salad, as it gives the salad a bit of a 'kick', just how we like it! An added benefit, the ingredients used, are all very healthy for you. I recommend using as many organic ingredients you can find. Your body will be grateful for the nourishment.




A Farmstead Pilgrimage's... "Spicy HOT Mustard"

Ingredients needed:

1/2 Cup Yellow Mustard Seeds

3/4 Cup ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)

1/3 Cup Filtered Water

2 tsp. Raw Honey

1/2 tsp. Turmeric

1/2 tsp. Paprika

1/2 tsp. Garlic Granules

3/4 tsp. Salt


Directions:

In a pint canning jar, soak mustard seeds in vinegar and water for 2 days, making sure seeds are covered by liquid.

On third day, place mustard seeds and liquid in blender.




Add raw honey and spices.





Blend until smooth and mixture thickens. (about two minutes, approximately)
You will need to stop the blender ever so often, and help mix the ingredients.



Scoop into a glass canning jar, store in refrigerator, and allow flavors to mingle and begin to mellow.




Enjoy your homemade 'Spicy' Mustard!
We do!

Thank you for stopping by for another visit.
Joyfully,
Kris

~Psalms 111:1~ Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, in company of the upright and in the assembly. ~NASB

5 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

So ... I made mustard and didn't soak the seeds .. maybe that's what I did wrong. This sounds worth another try. I have a friend that makes champagne mustard (hot/sweet) that is delish. Thanks for sharing

Mr. H. said...

We are now inspired to try making our own mustard. Did you buy or grow the seeds?

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Mrs. Mac!

I have never made it without soaking the seeds. Give it another try, soaking the seeds.

Hmmmm, your friends Champagne mustard does sound wonderful. I think you could do alot of different combinations in making this from scratch. Just adding more raw honey to this recipe, makes it... Honey Mustard.

Have a great day!

~Blessings~
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hello Mr. H!

Glad you are giving the mustard making a try. It's very simple.

We purchase the seeds at the Food Co-op or the small health food store here.

However, after finding this basic mustard recipe will work for us, we plan to grow the seed in the future.

I did think of both you and the Mrs., when I thought about growing this... as you folks grow your flax, which is 'Inspiring' itself!

Have a wonderful day!

~Blessings~
Kris

Renata said...

This recipe sounds wonderful - my hubby would love it!
Thanks for sharing
Renata:)