Sunday

On September 1, 2010, I tried to post about a project that was completed.  For some reason, Blogger must of been having a glitch in the system.  I could not get the entry displayed correctly. 

So I thought I'd try again.




In October of 2009, I began this project. For many years, I had been wanting to get around to making these stained glass panels for the sidelights of our front door.  The panels were finally completed and hanging in place mid March, 2010. 








Above is one of the 14 panels I made, to complete this project.  I traced the pattern onto the chosen color glass,  cut the glass, and then sanded the edges.  Just this part alone (for one panel) took close to four hours.  I'm sure, if I did this often enough, I could cut down the time frame.      


After choosing the color layout, tracing the pattern, cutting, and sanding, the next step was to foil the edges of the glass.  Foiling did not take nearly as long, about 1/2 hour per panel.  The final step was soldering the pieces together.  Hubby helped me with this part, as he is much quicker at soldering, and I was getting pretty anxious to get this project completed. 

Once all 14 panels were completed, hubby made frames.  He used Alder for the wood, and routered out a center grove for the panels to slide into.  He sanded the frames, and applied a clear finish to the wood.  Eye hooks were placed at the top of the frames, and small sized chain added to hang the completed stained glass panels.   




~Panels complete~









~Panels in place at front door~





This was my first stained glass project of this size.  I have done two small projects previous to this one.  One thing I was uncertain about was the choosing of colors.  There are tons of colors and patterns of glass to choose from.  I did run out of some colors that I favored over others, and used some I did not think would work together. 

The ending result,  I was pleasantly surprised.  I often find myself stopping at the front door and looking at all the color combinations and how they seem to 'go together'. 



Thank you for stopping by for a peek.

Have a blessed day!
~Kris

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.  Respect what is right in the sight of all men.   Romans 12:17 nasb

8 comments:

Sonya said...

That is so pretty. A job very well done!

Mr. H. said...

Your work is quite beautiful and really makes the area around your door look great...amazing.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Sonya!

Thank you!

Blessing to you!
Kris

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Mr. H!

Thank you!

Blessings!
Kris

Jane said...

What a great job! That is just beautiful,you are talented. I could never do that. Job well done! Thanks for the follow, I appreciate that so much. Blessings jane

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Jane!

Thank You.

I had those same thoughts,(that I could not do it) but really it's not that hard. Just takes time.

Have a wonderful day!
~Blessings~
Kris

Polka said...

you have done it yourself? omg that is amazing!! love it :)

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Polka!

Thank you! I was amazed too.

Blessings!
Kris