Sunday

Just in from the Field...



Fresh!
and
Alive!



Purple Spring Broccoli, 
 along with
regular green broccoli, Red Russian Kale, and Blue Curled Kale. 



Some of this will be use for raw eating,
and some will be made into a quiche for the coming week.




Our first year to grow this Purple Spring Broccoli was two years ago. 
We just happen to stumble upon growing it.

Nothing is more welcoming right now, than this fresh produce, 
after a long dreary, cold, gray winter.

The added bonus for me...
Purple is my favorite color!




These are the seeds from the Purple Spring Broccoli
I saved two years ago, off the original plants we grew here. 
They were harvested in late September. 



One last photo to share...


Our ~Always~ broody Buff Orpington hen.
She is a really nice hen, even when broody. 

 Some broody hens are wicked, requiring gloves ~AND~ a lid off a bucket (to move the hen off the eggs... when trying to collect eggs).  Yes, we have had to use those two items.  Sounds crazy, I know.
 (~grin~)


We finally had a couple of nice days, and were able to accomplish quite abit. 
 Praises to the Lord!

As I was outside today finishing up a few chores, I noticed the wind turned crisp.
  It felt cold enough for snow.


Back inside the house,
 I turn on NOAA weather radio...

Sure enough, NOAA is reporting snow Monday in the late morning hours.

Well, I welcome it.

  It is hard to believe I am wishing for more cold days,
being's I prefer the warm sunny weather.

I need several more weeks of cold weather,
 as I'm way behind on shearing, and 
I'm trying not to get stressed out about it.  (~grin~)

Hope you are all doing well!

Blessings,
~Kris~

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us.  Ephesians 4:20 nasb


4 comments:

Mr. H. said...

That purple sprouting broccoli looks amazing, I really must try growing some one of these years. Enjoy all those wonderful brassicas.:)

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Mr. H!

We think it's ~SO~ neat to be able to have your own fresh, ~Alive~ vegetables just after our non-growing season.

A person's body really thrives on fresh, alive nutrients.

If I staggered the plantings, we could have it even later. Whereas, what we have now, won't last into May. Someday, I'll get it all layed out right.

Have a great day!
Kris

DeanO said...

Wonderful and "fresh" photographs

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Thanks DeanO!

Have a blessed day!
~Kris