Friday

 My life feels like a blur.  It is hard for me to believe its the end of the third week of September.  Three months left of 2011.  I'm not sure if that is good.  Where did the year go?  As much as I don't really want the year to end, I am anxious to get started again seeding, planting and growing tomatoes.  Our tomatoes were not very good this year.  It's just too cold, too long here in the spring and summer.  I will however, start them earlier next year.  Also I'm going to find a few good short season, cold tomato varieties. Something that grows in ice!  lol

Well,  I thought I'd better fill in some gaps of what we have been up to.  There is alot to fill in, so I'll work my way backwards.  When we arrived home this evening after work, we noticed that neighboring property was starting to line up with trucks with horse trailers and horses.  'We've got KOA out front,' I say to my hubby.  We call it KOA after the KOA campgrounds.  The neighbor has an arena that is used for timed horse gaming events.  It has always seemed odd to me, that right in my back yard is a state recognized (legal size and footing for qualifying points) arena. 



~Horses and riders settling in Friday night for the gaming show~



Horses and their riders come from all over the state, rolling in throughout the night before the show is to start. Sometimes we have stayed up late into the evening, watching these people unload horses by flashlight or headlights of another vehicle.  Once the horses are unloaded, the horseowners set up their own portable pens of woven electric wire, which is powered by a 6 or 12 volt battery.   In the morning we will awake to the field lined with trucks, horse trailers, horses covered with their blankets, water buckets and majoriety of the horses quietly munching their hay.  They know the routine.   With the outbreak of EVH-1 (equine herpes virus) this year there were fewer shows here.



~Tractor disking arena at night, prepping for next day~

On another note, since the outlook of the real estate in our area has not been good for the past few years, and does not appear to be changing anytime soon,  it looks as if we may be here a while.  It has been hard for me to find peace about this, but it is coming.  We had worked so hard to disengage from the mainstream ways and learned all we could about self reliant living.  For five years it was all we did, lived, and breathed.  People thought we were crazy.  We did not care.  We lost alot of our friends, as there really isn't much we have in common anymore.  We had a vision and a goal.  It was what we believed in (and still do).  It was(still is) a good and honest way to live.   We no longer need 'things' just because they are available to us.  We are not consumers anymore.  It feels grand to walk in a store and have no desire to purchase something that is unnecessary. 

By December 2010, we came up 10 months short on funds, which was due to the economy dropping out back in 2008 here.  In order to keep our jobs, we had to take pay cuts.   It has been a humbling experience for me.  I have learned alot about myself during this time period, which has been a true blessing.


So while we are waiting for our move to happen, we are going to be adding on and remodeling a few things, which will make living here more in agreement with our current lifestyle.   We won't change things too much.  Our woodshed is one area we decided to start with.  It's actually roofed right now. This photo is from two weeks ago.  It took my hubby 1 day to build.  It will sure be much nicer to be able to get out of the rain or snow. 




~Adding on our woodshed~



We have changed our eating habits a bit this past year.  I don't bake bread or cakes, cookies, pies like I used to.  Everyday, I used to bake something.  Now, I bake maybe two times a month.   Over the Labor Day Holiday weekend, I made this Banana Nut Cake.  








The cake was suppose to last us four days.  It lasted only one and a half days.  I had to get a picture quick, when I saw there was nothing left but this small piece.   When I decided to make it, I did not think it would be anything special.









However, I was wrong.  I don't know if it was because we do not eat cakes, cookies and pies much, or if it was indeed good.  But it did not last.  So that tells me, I will be making this again.   

Here is the recipe I used:

2 1/3 C fresh ground organic soft white wheat flour
1 2/3 C. Sucanut- organic (sugar)
3 bananas- organic (mashed)
2/3 C. walnuts- organic (broken in med. size pieces by hand)
1/3 C. Olive oil, organic, first cold press
2/3 C. buttermilk (I made mine from organic non-dairy milk and organic vinegar)
3 eggs from our hens
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (I used Redmond Salt)

Beat all ingredients together (I mixed it all by hand, but you can use an electric mixer).
Pour into greased pan (I used 9X13X2 Pyrex).
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 min. depending on your oven.  (test with toothpick)
Cool, then frost with Vanilla Frosting, if you desire.  (we ate it without frosting, as you can see).
Serves 15, or 2 pigs like us. (grin)




Enjoy!


Tomorrow, (Saturday), we are attending a small local fiber festival.  As always, I'm looking forward to seeing wool, wool, and yes, more wool. There will be various sheep and even alpaca's!  The breeder I purchased my sheep from, wanted me to bring my spinning wheel and spin with others.  It was the plan, but my wool never got fully carded enough to take.   




~Clover, my boss ewe~
~She's super sweet~
~She's ready to be sheared Again!~




Until next time,

Look for the blessings in your day!

Kris

  

2 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful words, recipe and pictures. I love this site. First time on the site. Keep up the good work.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Jan!

Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments. It's always nice to meet new people.

Blessings to you!
Kris